Tuesday, April 5, 2011

And then shit got crazy

So India won the Cricket World cup for the first time in 28 years and to put it bluntly the town and country exploded in celebrations.  People flooded the streets all over the place, with music, chanting, shirtless and painted men dancing and lots of honking cars and bikes.  I ended up driving around on the back of a motorcycle and got to witness the absolute insanity in the streets, repeatedly chanting and high fiving other people on or in other moving vehicles.

The Team. bleed blue baby

Things were rather insane as the town celebrated heavily.  Country wide, the Captain Dhoni's ancestral village is getting a new road, Kingfisher airlines has given the team lifetime free travel, and the Maharashtra state assembly wants to give the country's highest civilian award to Sachin Tendulkar, the Bharat Ratna.  People like Gandhi and Nehru have received this.

In other news, I had one of the IR kids Anand inform me that he had discovered the movie that I had been a dying Portuguese soldier in.  The film was recently released and apparently is a big hit both in southern India and even abroad as it was shown at the Hong Kong film festival  The title in Malayalam, the language in Kerala, is Urumi which is a type of sword/blade i think.  The wiki article is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urumi_(film) and the film's official website is here http://www.urumithefilm.com/.  While i didn't make it onto the official website, an obvious mistake my agent is on it, the guy who slits my throat from behind did.  Here's his picture.
I pride myself on knowing he needed to stand on a box to slit my throat.
Finally, I also gave an interview with a reporter from the Deccan Herald, which is supposedly the most widely read English language newspaper in South Indian.  The journalist had some communications issues with my accent and the end result is kinda like a funny version of the childhood game telephone when one person says something and by the time it gets back to them its completely different.  The article can be found here http://www.deccanherald.com/content/150672/indian-expertise-americans.html.  Some of my personal favorite misquotes are my Indian relatives in Goa being "involved in Indian culture", for the Your experience in India question, my imaginary given response of "Nothing special", and my apparent travels in "North and North-East India" from which I gathered that North Indians are more aggressive in contrast to the south (I haven't been to the N or NE)  And she managed to inconsistently spell my name as either the rare Daniel (correct) or the more common Daneil (incorrect).  All in all its turns into a pretty funny article due to some of the absurdities and weird English that its written in.

So to end this ramble, shout out to the injury prone Stall 11, do work at sectionals in less than 2 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks man for putting my name in..
    U sure did have a wonderful experience in India, and a lot more is to come...the Summer's only started, and its festival time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, this article is gold. "Describe India in three words..."

    Also, "The film is being made at a budget of more than 20 crore rupees, making it the second most expensive Malayalam film ever made after Pazhassi Raja." Ask your agent if he pocketed your cut.

    ReplyDelete