Thursday, January 27, 2011

Procrastination in India

As I sit here feeling uncomfortably full, dinner+ a box full of cereal, I realize that I have no desire to write the reasonable paper for class tomorrow.  Foolish of me to think that I could do this paper before it was due shortly now that I am in India.  Also despite looking like regular corn flakes, I believe the cereal actually has a some drug in it as I cannot stop eating the cereal when I have it or thinking about eating it when I run out of it.

Shakti must mean nicotine
Anyways a bit more about life here, I live in a boys hostel (dorm) as all the hostels are segregated by sex.  The girls have this awkward curfew where they have to be signed into and physically in their hostels by 10:30 at the moment although this is expected to be pushed back soon.  Luckily, Indians only feel that girls need to be back before its too late, so I have no curfew to speak of...I think.  Continuing on the conservative side, girl-boy relationships  here are 'interesting' involving a lot of close talking and awkwardly holding hands and thats about it.  I really should write this paper about Indian newspapers.  Must eat strawberry cereal.  Also wed. was Republic Day, a national holiday which meant no classes, and a very militant flag raising ceremony in which the contingents of students from various departments marched around the greens in formations.  On a side note the opposition BJP political party(hindu nationalist) called a state wide bandh (strike) which led to some regrettable road and business closures and bus stonings.  All that to support their minister who is being prosecuted for corruption and who has the brilliant defense of everyone else was doing it too. 

Time to write, but not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment